The “desperate weight loss” mentality is not good if it causes you to take desperate measures to lose weight as fast as possible. Those who sell weight loss gimmicks count on this “desperate mindset” to rake in billions. And, sadly, it continues to work. Just check out the weight loss marketing tactics that are used in January every year.
I’m here to keep telling you that desperate weight loss tactics stink! Even if you feel desperate to shed major pounds, take a sensible approach that will last over the long haul. Health, fitness, adequate energy levels and quality of life will keep weight loss in perspective for you.
According to CBS News, Americans spend about $35 billion on weight loss products each year. Yet, there is still an overweight and obesity problem in the population. You can burn fat and lose weight without spending a dime on a weight loss product. To be honest, these products either do not work or will only give you a minor temporary boost.
Desperate starvation dieters have a hard time learning from mistakes. The typical desperate dieter tries a new plan four times a year. “We have this mentality that a diet is something to go on and then get off as quickly as possible,” says FITNESS advisory board member Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, founding director of the University of Pittsburgh’s Weight Management Center. “But lasting weight loss requires making lifestyle changes that will work long-term.”
Here are 5 Weight Loss Gimmicks aimed at the “Desperate Mindset” crowd:
1. If the weight loss product marketing pitch makes you feel as if you must use this product to lose weight, its a gimmick. Truth be told, losing weight and transforming your body requires many things and changes. No one approach has the market cornered.
2. If you will be starving most of the time as a result of using the weight loss tactic, don’t buy the product. If you eat the right way, you can burn fat, lose weight and never be hungry. And, you can eat foods that you enjoy and establish eating habits you can maintain.
The type of food you eat and timing of what you eat is very important for your metabolism to work properly. Your body needs adequate amounts of the macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) to function properly. You won’t be able to exercise effectively if you don’t have the energy you need from food.
3. Avoid any product that says something like, “Lose weight without ever exercising……” Even though you can lose weight without exercising, you will not be lean and you will have high body fat. And, you will very likely regain the weight without regular exercise and an active lifestyle.
Building muscle mass is critical to burn fat and get a lean body for good. Building muscle mass and compliance with a good meal plan are primary keys to achieving permanent weight loss. So, start doing your regular weight training workouts 2-3 days a week.
4. You have been tricked into using a quick weight loss method for too long if it leads to slowed metabolism, a weaker immune system, hormonal imbalances, loss of lean mass, increased body fat, decreased energy levels and disrupted sleep patterns.
Losing too much weight too fast could also kill you. Someone I grew up with died about 3 years ago because he lost over 100 pounds too fast. Whatever product he was taking was the primary cause of his death.
Doesn’t it make sense to eat whole, natural foods that keeps your body healthy, lean and energized?
5. If you hate to eat, trying too many quick weight loss diets could be a contributing factor. You may also need medical help. Its not normal to hate eating.
These types of diets can be dangerous, according to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMSD):
“Behaviors that reflect frequent dieting, such as eating very little, not eating in front of others, trips to the bathroom following meals, preoccupation with thinness or weight, focus on low-calorie and diet foods, possible increase in the consumption of water and other no- and low-calorie foods and beverages, possible increase in gum chewing, limiting diet to one food group, or eliminating a food group.”
Eat for a healthy, sustained body and life.
- Eat Better to be Healthier, Burn More Fat and Lose Permanent Weight?
- Have Your BEST Looking Body Naked or in Smaller-Sized Clothes?
- Feel Better than You have Felt in Months or Years?
- Have the Energy to Accomplish Your Daily Goals?
Be sure and register to Start Your Amazing Body Transformation Today!
I will coach you to transform your body and its definitely not just about weight loss. You will learn what it takes to change your eating habits and lifestyle and start remaking your body a healthy, energized and lean fat-burning machine!
Mark has helped thousands of clients and readers make lifestyle changes that lead to better long-term health, which includes acceptable body fat and ideal body weight.He does not recommend fad diets, quick weight loss gimmicks, starvation diets, weight loss pills, fat burner supplements and the like.